Thursday, January 20, 2011

Instant chocolate pudding finally made healthier...

I don't know about you but I have fond memories of chocolate pudding from when I was a little girl.  To me it was comfort food.

It is sad but in the years since I was young, chocolate pudding has kind of been ruined by all the ready-made varieties available in grocery stores.  Have you looked at the list of ingredients on the packages?  So many preservatives that I can't even pronounce.  I'm sorry but if I can't even say it, how is my poor body going to digest it?  Even the top-selling instant chocolate pudding brand disappoints me with it's list of ingredients.

Epicure's "Chocolate Pudding in an Instant" launched with their 2011 product line-up...I was curious because of my affection for pudding.  I bought a package to put in my sample bag and discovered....drum roll please...their pudding only has FOUR ingredients...sugar, tapioca, cocoa and sea salt!!  No preservatives and no artificial colors.  I got very excited and wondered about it's taste...

I made "Epicure's Chocolate Pudding in as Instant" into a Chocolate Parfait.

Notes:  I used one package of the pudding mix ($5.95) and mixed it with 2 cups of skim milk.  My youngest daughter stirred it with a whisk for 2 minutes, then I stirred it for another 2 minutes.  (the package says 2 minutes total, but the first stirs were child-strength, next time I may use the electric mixer, I think it would be fastest)  At this point it looked very pudding-like.  I spooned it into small dishes, put them in the fridge for 5 minutes and then added a layer of cream I had whipped ahead of time.  On top of this I added some blackberries and then shaved a little semi-sweet chocolate over everything.  This made 8 smaller servings (really all you need!) or it could have been done as 6 regular servings if you like.  I put them in the fridge for an hour before serving.

Verdict:  Chocolate pudding is back in our house!  Woo hoo!  This was easy to make and I LOVE that it is not full of junk.  The whole family LOVED it.  I can't wait to try to make pudding pops in the freezer with this...move over Fudgsicles!!  I think the way I made it tonight would be great with sliced strawberries.  If you don't have time for "made from scratch" this mix is pretty close - especially since it's ingredients are all things you know.

Cheers!

P.S.  I know I may seem partial to Epicure products because I sell them, but when I make their recipes or use their ingredients I am trying them out honestly for my family and my business.   I don't want to personally recommend anything to my customers that isn't a good product - therefore I test it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment