Monday, February 20, 2012

Butter Chicken

photo from Epicure Selections
I love butter chicken - I have tried many different recipes, as well as easier to make bottled varieties from the stores.  Last night for Sunday dinner I made Epicure Selection's Butter Chicken from their "What's for Dinner" collection.  I have made it before, following the directions on the package and it was good, but last night I altered it a little and it was REALLY, REALLY good!

I started with http://www.epicureselections.com/en/products/food/whats-for-dinner/1810/butter-chicken-mix/  - for $3.99 a package or $9.99 for 3 it is a great deal.  There are no artificial flavors or preservatives in it - just the spices needed for the recipe.  The recipe on the package is easy, low sodium and LOW FAT.  Unlike other Butter Chicken's on the market (usually in a jar) or even homemade recipes - there is much less salt and no cream added, cutting the fat content drastically.

My alteration to the recipe is simple - substitute the cup of water for a cup of unsweetened almond milk and 3 tablespoons water.  I used chicken thighs instead of breasts, as I find they are more tender in this kind of dish.  Also, use greek yoghurt for this recipe, it really makes a difference in the consistency.  Last night I chopped about 3 tablespoons italian parsley and stirred it in after I added the yoghurt - added a little color.  This dish only takes about 30 minutes to make.  I serve it with basmati rice and a green salad.

In the end you will have a fast, healthy, family friendly dinner and everyone at the table will be licking their plates off when they are done because it is so good.  Thank you Epicure for coming out with this product this year - I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment