Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Porcupine Meatballs

The other day at soccer we somehow got to talking about Porcupine Meatballs and I said how much my kids love them.  I like that they are easy and I can prepare them earlier in the day and then pop in the oven an hour before dinner. That day I said I would share my recipe, so here it is:

Porcupine Meatballs

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
2/3 cup basmati rice
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I use 2 tbsp. Epicure's 3 Onion Dip Mix instead so the kids can't be picky about finding pieces of onion in their dinner - it is a great onion substitute)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 large can tomato sauce (15 oz)
1 cup water
2 tsp. worcestershire sauce

How to make:  Mix the ground beef, 1/2 cup water, onion, salt, pepper, garlic, and rice.  Shape mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls.  Place the meatballs in an ungreased shallow baking dish (i.e. pyrex) large enough that the meatballs are not on top of each other but placed side by side with a couple of cm. between.  Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over the meatballs.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.  Uncover and bake for 15 minutes longer.  (Tip:  Check with meat thermometer like I do or cut one open to make sure it is no longer pink inside) Serve immediately.

I like to serve these meatballs for dinner with a nice green salad and some crusty bread for dipping in all the lovely sauce.  If your kids aren't salad eaters - green beans would be a nice complement too.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment